Designs by Denise Photography~Mondovi, WI

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Meatballs

Tonight I made spagetti and meatballs for supper. Probably a usual for some people but a new thing for my family. That is, the meatballs are new. I've never made meatballs in my life, but in an effort to make the spagetti portion of the meal more appealing to my children I decided to go all out and make meatballs. I thought this would be an exciting twist on supper. I was wrong. Very wrong. The meatballs were recieved a little better than the news that it is time to go to bed. I spent half the afternoon crafting this meal and 2 of my children only ate noodles with butter and one of them picked a meatball apart as if she were giving it an autopsy.........and I'm almost positive none of the pieces ever made it to her mouth! When I was a kid you ate what was in front of you and you ate it fast or someone else might grab it. And there were certainly no meatballs! There were also no grand efforts to make supper fun, exciting or appealing to us. Yet every night I try to make something that is not only healthy for the entire family but also something that everyone will eat. I fail every single night. I might achieve one but never both. Now if I had any other job in the world I'm sure I'd quit. I mean, I've had people cry over not wanting to eat my meals, gag themselves, hide food in there mouths and go spit it into the garbage. I've seen and heard it all. And yet I keep plugging away. I'm pretty sure the only reason I haven't quit yet is because I can't. And a mother's insane need to see her children eat must be what keeps me going. Ironically most nights I'm not even discouraged by the previous nights fiasco and I still start making supper thinking to myself, "maybe tonight will be the night that they all eat." It hasn't happened yet, but maybe one of these days.........

1 comment: