Designs by Denise Photography~Mondovi, WI

Monday, October 26, 2009

It is all fun and games until someone gets their head stuck

My least favorite time of day is between 4:00 and 5:00. For whatever reason my children are total animals at this time of day. There is screaming and crying, laying down on the floor, kicking. You name it. And, no matter what I try to keep them busy, absolutely nothing works. I suppose one reason I find this time of day so unbearable is that I'm trying to make supper, get everything out of backpacks and organized and get 2 kids up from nap (and they are not usually in good moods). And so each day the time approaches and so does the dread. Now I've tried to be smarter and work around this time, I've planned only the most fun things for the girls to do at this time, but everything always ends in a meltdown. I've tried to make supper in the morning or early afternoon so that all I have to do is heat up, all have been total failures. I still can not avoid the torture that is this time of day. Each day I hope and pray that my husband will arrive home just a little early to take some of the heat off of me, but this rarely happens as he is an intelligent human being and avoids this time of day like any sane person would. He says he is working but I'm pretty sure he is the guy driving home on 37 going 40 mph. Today I've had a few special delights, as I was fixing our pork chops for supper my 18 month old pulled my pants down around my ankles, on the flip side I guess I finally lost some weight, but I hope the neighbor guy didn't happen to be looking up into our house at the time. Maddy also brought a friend home today so the noise level and excitement has been especially intense. Right now there are 6 kids running around my house yelling and playing indian princesses, the irony of this is that Maddy's friend is native american so let's hope they stop playing before she gets picked up. And best of all during all of this commotion I couldn't hear the baby crying and was finally told by one of the children she had her head stuck in the girls bunkbeds, heaven only knows how long she was stuck in there becuase I was making supper and trying to pretend anyone would care what it tasted like. All I know is that by the time I got there she was so worked up I thought she was going to puke. I also contemplated calling the fire dept because she didn't come out that easily. I'd like to say that all of my problems at this time of day are related to the fact that my children are starving but there is no evidence of that as they very rarely eat their supper..........

1 comment:

  1. Funny!!!!! :) I can relate to that time of day so well. My older two get home from school by 3 and my world turns upside down daily too. No matter what I do to try to avoid it, it never fails!

    ReplyDelete