Designs by Denise Photography~Mondovi, WI

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Check-ups

Today I had the fun experience of taking two of my children to the doctor for a check up, and 2 hours later, with an exam room destroyed, an exhausted staff, two crying girls and a mom ready to drink her lunch, it was over. There is nothing better than taking two healthy kids to the doctor, seriously though, it sucks. The first thing I worry about when I take healthy kids to the doctor is what they are going to pick up while they are there. I'm pretty sure today we used and entire bottle of hand sanitizer while we were there, I wouldn't be surprised if we were charged for one. It won't matter, they will still get sick, they spent most of there time crawling all over the filthy floor, playing in the bathroom, digging in all the drawers and worst of all fishing in the garbage can. No matter what I tried I couldn't keep them out of all of it. Now if I had an nerves left at all this would have sent me into a germ-phobic coma but I lost my last one about 2 years ago so I just sat and shuffled through my wallet. So the next thing I worry about when I take healthy kids to the doctor is what they will destroy or break. I mean when they are sick they are usually a little quiet and will sit with you, when they are healthy they are caged animals and that never leads to anything good. Today my girls played with puke bags and pretended they were hats, kept asking for drinks out of urine collection cups and I think they actually broke that eye light they use. Again I won't be surprised to find a charge for it on our bill. I really tried to keep them busy pretending to be bears while they hid behind the exam table but that just only lasts so long. Finally we got to the actual exam. I'd like to give you details but I have no idea what was said. Nope, I don't know how much the baby weighs, how tall she is, NOTHING. When you take two healthy kids to the doctor it is impossible to hear anything the doctor says or ask any questions. While the doctor was talking I was busy putting everything back into my purse for the millionth time and taking the baby down from the mini-blinds. And, if we hadn't had enough fun yet, we still had shots coming. Got to love shots. Now some mom's probably feel bad for their kids when they have to get shots, but I must be just cold and dead inside because I really don't. Today we all got shots so I got mine first and I didn't cry or flinch at all. Then I spent a while trying to convince my three year old that it was fun and it would be worth it when she didn't get really sick, of course this ended with me holding her down and her screaming while she got the shot. Last the baby got 3 shots and I held her down too. Again, I'm sure some mom's probably feel really bad about these things, but not me. I figure there are far worse things in life they will have to experience so they should learn to deal. Although I think the joke was on me because after I spent all that time convincing them it wouldn't hurt, I sit here tonight with an incredibly sore arm! And so with the shots injected our check up ended. The girls left crying, I left exhausted and the beauty of the whole situation is that Maggie licked a chair in the waiting room on our way so we'll be back again next week.......................

1 comment: