Designs by Denise Photography~Mondovi, WI

Monday, October 12, 2009

I had a good mind until I had the children

I like to think of myself as a pretty smart person, not too smart, but smart enough to do well at most things. I graduated in the upper half of my high school class, I graduated with honors from college, but I can say without a doubt that my intelligence has gone down hill over the last 6 1/2 years. I think my mind slips a little more everyday. I can't say for certain what it is about the children that is causing this but I can say that it is directly related to their presence. There are a few very specific symptoms to my problem which seem to be getting worse with time. #1- I can never-ever start a task and finish it. Before the children I could start a task and finish it within a reasonable amount of time and go on to the next thing. These days I can't finish anything and I start about 20 different things at once. For instance, this morning I started laundry, making beds, doing dishes, making breakfast, sorting out summer clothes, sorting out toys and balancing our checkbook all at one time. Now common sense would tell me to just do one thing at a time, complete it and move on to the next, but my mind is bad and in the moment I just keep starting new things. #2- I cannot have a complete conversation with another adult, and if by some miracle I can, it will always be about poop or some other bodily function. I'm not sure when this symptom started at all but this has really gotten bad. Before the children I went to study and discussion groups related to urban economics and women's rights, now I discuss with the children how poop is made, how to get it out and where it is best to put it. This brings us to symptom #3- No one ever listens to me. Before the children, people listened to what I had to say about whatever I had to say. I had a job and people took my advice about their financial matters. Today I talked for a solid five minutes to my 6 year old and she never heard one word I was saying. And my three year old just plain doesn't believe a word I say. I just hope that maybe this will start to turn around for me or at least level off becuase it's looking more and more everyday like within the next five years I'm not even going to be able to function in society. The government will have to create some sort of home for all of us mom's who have simply lost our minds.....................

No comments:

Post a Comment