Designs by Denise Photography~Mondovi, WI

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Packing

Everytime my family goes away for an overnight visit I begin thinking about what I need to pack up to two weeks ahead of time. Now this doesn't mean that I'm super organized, it just means I'm super paranoid! As a matter of fact I often don't even begin to pack until the last minute. I hate packing for all five us. Hate may not even be a strong enough word. I put it off as long as possible because to me it is like doing a 5000 piece puzzle. I'm so overwhelmed by the idea of packing that I have to force myself to actually start doing it. I can't be certain where this fear of packing came from. Once Jake and I took Maddy to the Mall of America and she puked all over herself in her carseat in the parking lot. So while I drove around for 10 minutes trying to find a parking spot Jake dry-heaved out the window and we both tried to figure out how we would handle the mess. Well, we had a good plan until we actually got parked and figured out that I hadn't packed a diaper bag. We had one change of clothes for her in the back of the car, one plastic walmart bag and ONE baby wipe. Well we managed to get her clean, I don't know how but we did it. So I'm not sure why anything would scare me about a trip that I'm trying to prepare for. I think it has to be the fear of what may happen. We have had anything and everything happen and no matter how hard I try I just can't be prepared for everything, and when I'm over prepared I get crap for how much stuff is in the car! My mind just spins at the thought, what should I take, diapers, wipes, pack and plays, medications, bandaids,soaps,shampoos,diaper cream, rash cream, hair detangler, hair ties, brushes, combs, tooth brushes, tooth paste, underpants, clothes, dress and/or casual, shoes, coats, swimwear swim diapers, towels, blankets, special stuff animals, nuks, sippy cups, bibs, snacks, and this is just the top of the list! I worry about whether or not we can get the things we need if I forget them. How far away is Walmart? I hate every minute of it! That being said, I've now started my list so I guess I ought to get packing for a trip to grandma's this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. One of our greatest parenting moments i think

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get this, and I only have one. When we went on our first trip it was a nightmare. Some of the stuff you can't pack until the very last moment and some of it you can't forget because a replacement would cost hundreds of dollars and leave you completely uncomfortable (yay, breast pump!). And, every stage has its own special list of things you can not forget to pack. And, also, I totally want your mini-van now. Maybe "need" would be a better word than "want."

    ReplyDelete